Last night we had the first game night since I've been back. We used to play every Sunday night. It was good back then. Now it's too large of a group, with people who don't focus long enough to actually finish the game. It's hard to find a good game group. Not that many people are in to the same games. Most prefer loud active games. We prefer calm thought out games. Trivial Pursuit was our number one game. I even bought a book once to help me get better at it. I'm not sure it helped. We had a great crew. But life changes as do people and their situations.
Our game of choice last night was Battle of the Sexes. I'd never played it before and I learned plenty about what I am suppose to know and little about what I do. I discovered that men are only concerned about sports, alcohol and history. Women on the other hand are very avid chefs, estheticians, and model experts. Being the true woman that I am, I knew nothing of either sexes category. I was a great addition to the game. Periodically I would spout out the correct answer to some mechanical question and be ignored. I wasn't terribly thrilled with the game so I didn't mind as I usually would have. I was however highly entertained with the random answers coming from the boy in the corner. I cried slightly at his sincere answer that most pastries are thickened with Oatmeal. Or that there are 37 weeks to a pregnancy because you have to count the month that has five weeks. Highly amusing.
We ended the night with the game of Hearts. I used to think I was good at this game. I grew up playing it as it was my Dads favorite card game. He always won, but I generally attributed it to the fact that he was significantly older than me. I don't have the patience for the strategy required though, and consequently have never beaten my long standing opponent Mckay. Certain people have a love for the look of frustration that generally develops on my face with the continuation of any consistent losing streak. So the game was requested. I lost. As usual. But it's better that I did or we would have had to play again since it would be assumed that it was a fluke.
If you're thinking that I'm bad at all cards you're wrong. I love speed games. California speed is my absolute favorite and my sister Crystal and I will sometimes have a game continuing for ages. Nertz is my next favorite but it's only fun with people who aren't half blind and can keep up.
Note to self. When I find a good game group again, keep it intact. They're hard to come by.

No comments:
Post a Comment