Friday, March 4, 2011



 Tuesday night I joined my good friend Jake for the most interesting concert I've been to all year.  Granted I haven't been to a outrageous amount due to the fact that it's merely the beginning of March.  But regardless it was interesting.  It could have been the music itself, more of a Turkish celebration/Jewish bar mitzvah. Or it could have been the addition of the multiple interpretive dancers directly to my left who were intent on my involvement, or so it would seem by the number of times they ran into me.  Possibly it was the new fashion sense I received from the pirate hippies in front of me.  Or the drunk socialite to my right.  It was all an  experience to remember. Of that I am sure.

I had only heard a small selection of the bands music that I discovered was a small part of the genre they encompass.  They play about 80% of the music from a fabulous movie called "Little Miss Sunshine" .  A lot of it was composed for the movie itself based on their song How it Ends.  This is a fabulous song. 
And the rewrite by composer Mychael Danna of The Winner Is, creates one of my most favorite instrumental songs.  The music is still played by Devotchka, merely recomposed by Danna.

 I am always impressed by musicians who play more than one instrument.  It somewhat legitimizes them as a true musician instead of just a guitarist or drummer or tambourine shaker etc.  The violist pictured left not only played the violin, he also played the piano, the banana shaker (as they referred to it) and the accordion.  Amazingly.  The drummer also played the trumpet. At the same time for one of the songs.  Another member of the band played the upright bass, the tuba as well as the flute.  The singer was an extremely skilled whistler, as well as playing three different versions of the guitar (all with different numbers of strings who's names I'm not sure of) along with the banjo.

Impressive. To say the least.

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

looks rockin! this made me crave a concert! we will go to one soon...deal? deal.

Shauna said...

We used to listen to a lot of Devotchka at the crumb bro. Someone told me once that they started out as a cabaret band. Fun!

Em said...

booyah. real artists. I don't know any of them but they sound like a treat anyway.