Just a side note to some. This picture to the left is pre-race, post twelve hour drive, crappy sleep in a crappy hotel and no make up face. That's our "not sure what the crap we just got ourselves in to face".
If there were an award for Best Supporting 1/2 team, we would surely have won. We discovered early on that although your team is made up of 12 people, you are really only in contact with the 6 in your van making it feel like 2 teams instead of one.
Our half of the team was awesome. I forced mostly everyone to take a turn on the karaoke machine while we were waiting for runners to come in. We were the highlight of the other teams stops. We brought the Jams and dance moves everywhere we went!
I have great form right? I thought so. Our team name was "Fat kids win at teeter totter" and you can see our fatty inspiration relaxing on a palm tree. People were entertained by our name. that's all that matters.
While I look enthused here, that would be because this was pre leg #1 for me. Which was a killer. I am pretty sure I almost had heat stroke. My incline wasn't crazy steep, but it did go on for 6 miles before it decided to cool off. It was also 86 degree weather and my water got hot before I even took a sip. Luckily my fellow team members decided to NOT follow the rules of leaving me to die on my No van support leg, and brought me multiple stops worth of water.
Leg 2 was a breeze. Waiting til 2 a.m. to run it was the best idea ragnar ever had. It was SOOO much better. It was cool, quiet, and luckily not a terribly sketchy part of the trek.
I forced my siblings to join me. Some came willingly, others had to be forced. Amber would fall into the forced category. Apparently all those years of running on track and cross country growing up don't automatically qualify her as a "runner".
Who qualifies as that anyway? I sure don't. I had someone in the shop say to me after they found out I was running a ragnar.... "Isn't it so awesome? Running is addicting isn't it?" My answer was "No. I hate to run, but it keeps me in shape."
It's the truth. Although I did have fun during this race, I'd rather play a sports game any day than hop on a treadmill.
| We're all really natural at posing in running stances aren't we? |
My parents were a great support during the race. My dad came down on Friday and assisted in the leap frogging water offerings. And both my parents as well as a trio of small children and a very pregnant sister in law, came down on Saturday. It was a great help just to see people. You were usually running alone wondering if you'd missed a sign or something. That part sucked too. I need other people around me for my competitive drive to kick in and do me any good.
Thanks everyone for joining the team and thanks to everyone who came and supported us!

1 comment:
Very fun! I'm glad it turned into a fun experience!! Sorry I missed out.
Post a Comment